The place offers impressing natural landscapes as the most majestic scenery in Southeast Asia. If you are a natural lover or an explorer, coming to Ninh Binh should be undoubtedly noted on your check list.
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital
Ninh Binh was originally called “Hoa Lu” – the capital of ancient Vietnamese dynasty, starting from the Dinh dynasty. Locals tell that Kinh Dinh chose Hoa Lu as Dai Co Viet capital thanks to beautiful scenery and safety the place brings about. The mountainous area with valleys is a natural defenders of the kingdom.
Hoa Lu was the capital of ancient Vietnam for just 42 years, through 3 dynasties, including the Dinh, the Early Le, and the Ly. The land had gone through ups and downs with many events. However, King Ly decided to move the capital of the nation to Dai La and changed the new place’s name to Thang Long (which is Hanoi nowdays) in 1010.
Name main history attraction:
- Cuc Phuong National Park: About 120km southwest of Hanoi, Cuc Phuong National Park is located in Ninh Binh province. With an area of 25,000 ha, Cuc Phuong National Park is adjacent to 3 provinces of Thanh Hoa, Ninh Binh and Hoa Binh, so moving here is quite convenient. Along with scenic spots like Trang An or Tam Coc - Bich Dong, Cuc Phuong National Park has been a place to attract tourists to explore this diverse forest of animals and plants.
- Tam Coc– Bich Long: Tam Coc - Bich Dong is one of the most attractive places to visit in Ninh Binh. It is well - known for its poetic, peaceful but equally breathtaking scenes that easily captivate people’s hearts. Tam Coc has also some famous names such as "Ha Long Bay on land" or "Nam Thiên Đệ Nhị Động" (the second most beautiful cave in VietNam).
Boat trip in Tam Coc
- Hoa Lu ancient capital: Hoa Lu Capital is located in Truong Yen ward, Hoa Lu district, Ninh Binh province. It was the capital of Dai Co Viet - ancient Vietnamese kingdom more than 10 centuries ago. . Tourists visiting Hoa Lu Capital will have a chance to learn more about this land - an ancient and famous imperial city but still retaining many glorious relics.
- Mua Cave (Hang Mua): Beside Trang An or Tam Coc - Bich Dong, Hang Mua (Hang Múa) is a popular place that really captures the hearts of tourists who have come here. The beauty of the natural scene makes an ever-deepening impression; and the quality of tourism services in Hang Mua is also good. Because of this, Hang Mua is always listed as a must-visit destination that visitor always choose when they arrive in Ninh Binh.
- Trang An: Trang AnVietnam is a regional habitat belong to the Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex of Ninh Binh province. Situated near the southern margin of the Red River Delta, the Trang An Landscape Complex is also known as the Ha Long Bay of the land. Trang An consists of majestic mountains, gorgeous limestone caves and wild streams flowing through the caves. The beautiful scenery here is naturally created with full of lively stone, river, green forest, and blue sky; making this place become one of the most beautiful and attractive karsts in the world.
- Bai Dinh Pagoda is a religious complex which is very well-known for many Asian and Vietnamese records. This is the largest temple that has the most records in Vietnam. The complex of Buddhist temples locates on Bai Dinh Mountain in Ninh Binh province, known as the ancient capital of Vietnam. Bai Dinh temple is a famous destination, popular place, attracting a lot of tourists every year, especially Buddhist pilgrimages.
Bai Dinh Pagoda
Culture (ethnicity, living custom, religious belief, special tradition and festival, etc.)
If you are joining tours, they will take you to local host to experience the true local lifestyle as one of Ninh Binh citizen. Don’t be surprised when you find the people are so nice, friendly, and hospitable.
There are also many unique traditional festivals such as the Hoa Lu Ancient Capital Festival in Hoa Lu District, Yen’s Commune, Non Khe Festival in Non Khe village, etc. If you are a cultural explorer, checking the festivals’ schedule to join would be a great idea.
Fortunately, tourists can come to Ninh Binh anytime of the year. In fact, in rainy season, many people come here to see the beautiful vivid green rice fields, which occurs during May to October. It more likely to be cooler and dry from November to April. However, there the area may be a bit vulnerable to typhoons in September.
Nice weather condition
If you don’t want to miss out any special spots, you should be traveling on your own bikes of cars. Crossing the rice fields, feeling the blowing winds while exploring places are such experience that you may want to remember. Travelers often rent bikes from hotels or tourism agents with only $5 per day.
- Don’t forget to enjoy Ninh Binh’s specialties: There are some specialties that locals and travelers recommend for a fulfilled trip. You should try friced rice, goat meat, and Yen Mac fermented pork rolls at local restaurants.
- Boat ride in Ninh Binh: Boat riding in Ninh Binh would definitely on your activity check list to enjoy the trip at best. A boat riding tour should include a lovely local tour guide who would take you to explore the green rivers through caves, template, and lakes. They offer a private tour from group of 4, or you can just enjoy the adventure with some other tourists.